A good night’s sleep is not something that always just happens- except for the lucky few. For the rest of us, getting enough sleep is contingent on a number of factors. Some of these might feel out of our control- but fortunately, there are a number of elements within our control that can make a huge difference. Below you’ll find some of the top tips for healthy sleep from experts in the field. While taking a CBN-infused edible is not on their list (yet), we believe that as more research is revealed on this incredible cannabinoid, more people will turn to edibles like Kiva’s Dream Team, which contain CBN and THC in them. The important thing to remember is to take your edible 1-2 hours before bed so the effects are felt at the right time to send you into a sweet slumber.
TOP TIPS FOR BETTER SLEEP
Things to Do
- Try to exercise regularly and maintain a healthy diet as there is a link between obesity and sleep disturbances.
- Make sure your bedroom is a quiet and relaxing area and keep the room at a comfortable, cool temperature- which can greatly affect quality of sleep.
- Set a bedtime that is early enough for you to get at least 7-8 hours of sleep before you need to wake up. Even better? Have a consistent sleep schedule. If you can get up at the same time every day, even on weekends and vacations, it will help your body keep the good habit of healthy sleep going.
Things to Avoid
- Make sure you don’t get into bed unless you are actually sleepy. Lying in bed before you’re tired can get the mind revved up- which means you’ll have to calm your thoughts down before you can even think about sleep! And you know what calms you down right? Exercise, of course!
- Even if you feel tired, if you don’t fall asleep after 20 minutes, get out of bed. Go do a quiet activity without a lot of light exposure- meaning, no electronics!
- Avoid consuming caffeinated beverages and products in the afternoon and evening. Caffeine has a half-life of 3-5 hours, and you really want it out of your system before you attempt to sleep.
- Do your best to limit exposure to bright light in the evening, including blue light from your computer or phone screen. To tell your brain it’s time to start getting ready for sleep, when the sun sets turn your lights down or use red light glasses or candles. If you do use devices and look at a screen, make sure to turn them off at least 30 minutes before bedtime.
- Limit the use of your bed to sleep and sex only. Watching movies in bed and doing other waking activities can make you associate your bed with a stimulating space.
- Avoid eating eat a large meal before bed- which can interfere with digestion. If you feel hungry late at night, eat a light, healthy snack instead.
- Avoid consuming alcohol before bedtime. While alcohol does have sedative properties, it has also been linked to poor sleep quality and duration.
- Reduce your fluid intake before bedtime since nighttime bathroom trips can interfere with sleep.
Good sleep may feel like a distant dream right now, but there are ways to take control of your nights and get the R&R you need. One last tip we would add is to establish a relaxing bedtime routine. This can include lavender-scented products, chamomile tea, a magnesium salt bath… and/or CBN-infused edibles of course! Kiva’s sleep-supporting options include Midnight Blueberry Camino gummies, Blackberry Dream Camino Sours, the Midnight Mint Dark Chocolate Kiva Bar, Terra Milk & Cookies Bites, and Blackberry CBN Petra Mints. Whatever your taste and tolerance, Kiva has a deliciously drowsy option you’re sure to enjoy. Sweet dreams!
*Sleep tips courtesy of American Academy of Sleep Medicine